The construction of 28 tourist service centers in Nuwara Eliya, Kandy, Badulla and Kegalle districts will commence in the near future, under the President’s National Policy.
A virtual discussion was held in order to discuss this project, and witnessed the attendance of officials from the Ministry of Tourism, Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority, Ministry of Urban Development and the Urban Development Authority.
The Minister of Tourism Prasanna Ranatunga confirmed that the service centers will cater to the needs of both foreign and local tourists and will be built in par with international standards.
Centers will be set up in cities which house prominent tourist destinations. To date 15 tourist zones have been gazetted.
This includes the following areas:
- Mount Lavinia
Proposals have also been put forth, to declare the following areas as tourist zones:
Nuwara Eliya,Sigiriya,Ella, Deniyaya and Delft Island.
Centers will be dispersed as follows:
- Kegalle District: 02 Centers
- Kandy District: 03 centers
- Nuwara Eliya District: 11 centers
- Badulla District : 12 centers
It has been decided that the tourist service centers will be built along the following routes:
- from Nuwara Eliya to Bandarawela and Ella (through Diyatalawa)
- from Nuwara Eliya to Bandarawela (through Welimada)
- from Gampola to Nuwara Eliya (through Pussellawa)
- from Kitulgala to Nuwara Eliya (through Ginigath-hena)