The Government Medical Officers’ Association (GMOA) recently proposed a 11 point proposal of measures to be implemented, in order to curtail the spread of the new variant of the coronavirus in Sri Lanka.
The following measure have been put forward:
- Increased testing capacity.
- Firm implementation of virus containment measures: area based lockdowns and other restrictions based on real time data.
- Securing Covid-19 vaccines in required amounts
- Proper administration of vaccinations to the population, according to local and international guidelines.
- An accurate collection of data, from the public and private sectors
- Accurate data handling at the Epidemiology Unit, with all consultant community physicians.
- Mobilizing necessary manpower to increase the efficiency of the Epidemiology Unit.
- Sharing of data to all parties, using GPS tracking mechanisms.
- Drawing up a plan to expand hospital and ICU treatment facilities proportional to estimates of rising covid-19 patients who need immediate care
- Home isolation of asymptomatic patients based on scientific specifications.
- Expanding social capital through risk assessment and communication while countering misinformation spread by authorities.